Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Trip to OB Triage

On Tuesday I started having some pains off and on all day. I had no idea what they were,but just knew that they were uncomfortable in my high abdomen. They were not on any rhythmic pattern so I thought maybe my stomach was just upset. Well on Wednesday morning when I get to work they started again, but were more frequent 4-5 a hour. I called my doctor's office and they told me it sounds like Braxton Hicks contractions which are normal,but I should not be having them as often as I was describing this early. They told me to go home drink lots of water and get in bed and rest. If they continued after I did that I needed to call them back because they needed to see me. Well sure enough they didn't go away so I was sent over to Baptist East OB Triage to get monitored. I was there for several hours hooked up to the monitor. They also did a urinalysis to make sure I didn't have a UTI. They also did a culture to see if I was going to go into preterm labor in the next 2 weeks. Both tests came back normal. They did have to give me an injection of Brethane (sp?) because the monitor did show I was having contractions. If any of you have ever had the injection then you know how bad it makes you feel. It makes your heart race and it also made me pretty shaky and nervous for about an hour, but it worked so that is all that matters. I was sent home and rested til my follow up appt on Friday.

Yesterday Dr. Dupre went over how many contractions a hour are normal and what is not. He prescribed me the brethane in pill form to take if I start having them again. While I was there and the nurse was getting my stats. I knew my blood pressure must have been high because she took it on one arm and then the other. Sure enough my blood pressure was back up like it was at my 5 month appt. Dr. Dupre decided to run some blood work to check my liver and kidneys and we will get the results on Monday. They also did the routine urinalysis and he did find a trace of protein in my urine, but was not to concerned about it. My feet were not swollen so he thinks I just might be one of the women who gets gestational hypertension. He doesn't think it's preeclampsia starting. If my labs come back abnormal he is sending me to do the 24 hour urine collection which is a test done for preeclampisa. Either way if the blood work is normal or not and if my BP is normal or not between now and Tuesday he still wants to see me again. I'm hoping my labs and BP are all normal and this is just my body being crazy after what happened on Wednesday. It looks like I'm going to be spending a lot of time back at the doctor. After my follow up on Tuesday my 7th month OB appt is the following Tuesday. Then the following week we are hoping to get in for our 4D ultrasound. I will of course keep you all posted on all of these appts.

No comments: